8.24am. The train pulled into the platform. “2 minutes” flashed on the big LCD screen above head. That’s the ETA of the next train heading east. I’m going to my vendor’s office in town this morning.
Cabins after cabins, people of all kinds stand shoulder to shoulder. While there were ample standing space in the centre of the cabins, the areas near the doorways were packed like sardines, some parts of the body had to be pressed against the train’s doors, usually hands.
As soon as the train doors opened, those inside tried their best to get out and those outside were squeezing their way in to secure a spot in the train. All these happens, while the red light flashes and chimes going off, signalling closing of the train doors soon, adding pressure to the folks, both inside and outside.
They were mostly office workers. All dressed up for work, guys in well-pressed shirts and pants, a few with ties, either carrying a haversack or laptop in hand; ladies were in pretty blouses and skirts, dresses long and short, power shirt and pant suits... It’s like a looking through a women’s fashion magazine, live...
Of course, there are also folks, like myself, in jeans and a simple top, artsy fartsy students dressed to make a statement, workers of the industries in well-worn clothes and not forgetting the “aunties” among others...
It’s said that it’s easier to put on a smile as it takes alot more muscles to put on a stern face. Were people having their morning facial workout? ‘cos almost everyone had “solemn” written all over their face. Few were talking. Some were sleeping. Many had music plugged into their ears. Others were playing with their techy mobile phones, or simply admiring the gas molecules in the atmosphere.
For once, I am glad I worked in the furthest end of our little garden city. Though trains going west from my place are still quite full, but there are more than enough personal space for each passenger. However, the long journeys to Tuas had slowly taken a toll on me after all these years, 5 years and 7.5 months, to be exact. Everyday, I have to to be up by 6.15am, so that I can catch the company's transport and get to work by 8.00am. Meeting my friends after work always have to be after 7pm, even though I knock off at 5.30pm. In contrast, when I'm at my vendor’s office in town, I can leave at 6.30pm, go home, change and still be in time for my training at 7.15pm.
Food is another factor. Working in town area means one is spoilt for choice when it comes to food. One can even pop by the library, run some errands or even do a little shopping during lunch hour. In our little republic at the west end of Singapore, we eat at the same cafeteria, served the same food by the same caterer, everyday. Once in a while, we car pool and go to a nearby coffee shop for lunch. On really special occasions, like celebrating a colleague’s birthday, welcome a new colleague or farewell for an old colleague, we go to Raffles Marina, the only “high class” place in the vicinity.
At my vendor's office on the 34th storey, I have a splendid view of the coastline on one side and the magnificant skyline of our tiny island on the other side. I always like to imagine I'm out there; the smell of the sea, looking at the waters and listening to the sound of the waves, always calms me down. On the other hand, being close to nature, out in the wild, excites me and makes me feel alive... Being in touch with people, contributing a little part to their lives, gives me a sense of satisfaction.
I am feeling unrest again... Perhaps it’s time to move on? Where should I go?
At Raffles Place Station, the train is half empty. Suddenly, I can see that it's a new train that I'm in. As I looked at the office folks trotting away in their smart office wear, click-clocking of fast-paced footsteps, as much as the working in town has many attractive advantages, I know this is not where I want to be...
Tomorrow, I’ll be back again in Tuas. Back to the days of getting up before daylight, and reaching home after sunset... Is this where I want to be...?
“Bugis.”
Unknowingly, I’ve reached my station. As the train doors opened, I walked out of the cabin and joined the ranks of the office workers. Today, I am one of them.
It’s the rush hour of the morning...
2 comments:
WOW!! U almost scare the shit out of me.... how would things be like when my work place is shifted all the way to far West?
I can only comfort myself... I would be along my way home if I am meeting friends for dinner after work.
5.63 years in a company and counting? haha.... Do Dr Tan need a good break? A holiday with no itinery...
Smile... :)
I thought Kee Leng forgets about the benefit of the company she is in. Just realised she might need more than a break.
As a friend, I am not telling you what is the best way to do something. DO something that would make U feel best. I would support Kee Leng for all decisions made, no question would be asked. :)
Post a Comment