Saturday, March 20, 2010

OCBC Cycle Singapore 2010 – It ended when it just began…


Looking back, two weeks on...

It was my first OCBC cycling event and it was supposed to be a mini Tour de Timor reunion ride. We had initially wanted to register in the team category. Since we did not have enough people to form multiple teams, we ended up signing up as individuals instead. However, as things would have turned out, only two of us were there at the starting line…

Surrounded by roadies smartly clad in team jerseys and cool-looking bikes, my friend and I, on our mountain bikes, looked like odd balls among them. In the midst of anticipation and excitement in the cool morning air, the event was flagged off by the minister in a series of waves.

At the sound of the horn, roadies sped past me by the numbers on both sides. As we rode into the darkness, I felt someone coming really close to me on my left. I tried to stay focus on the road but the very next moment, I found myself in the air…

All is silent other than the “thud” I heard. I felt faint in my head and pain in my shoulder. I saw bright lights from where a sea of cyclists came charging towards me and then suddenly diverged, amid shouts of “Danger! Move!”

The surroundings slowly crystallized. I felt the tarmac and found myself on my side, my hand across my chest on my shoulder. My helmet had knocked into my safety glasses which slid off my face awkwardly. Lying beside me was my KHS, handle bar twisted 180°.

Bit by bit, I gathered myself and stood up, and tried to pick up my bike. An excruciating pain forced me to drop my bike and held on to my shoulder instead. I felt a big hump at where the pain emanated, and the throbbing was slowly radiating through my body.

I knew from that moment, I’m out…

7 comments:

Christine Tan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
spinner said...

:(

Unknown said...

Wow - get well soon. I know broken collarbone hurts a lot and disable you for quite a while. I never had it, a couple brothers have.

Too bad no titanium collarbone available.

gently oxo.

nateekgnel said...

lance armstrong has a full carbon fibre clavicle. ;)
http://bontrager.com/news/inform_technology_aids_in_lance_armstrongs_recovery

Unknown said...

Haha - that would be sweet !!

Too bad its published on April 1.

Sivasothi said...

Oh gosh, so you were the one - I actually heard about you! Sorry to learn it was you.

Well, from someone who has broken his clavicle three times, it's one of the best bones to break. Get well soon!

Bastet said...

ayyoo!! Poor u... u really have broken a collar bone? Hope u recover asap!!!