Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Proactiveness

Rainy day. The sky opened up in the late evening and it started to drizzle again as I was leaving MBU for home. Along the way out, I decided to take out my umbrella. It was a correct decision as the rain only got heavier.

Before I came, BIG BOSS told me I must be more proactive and take initiative when I’m in India, else I’ll be left behind. Somehow, the rain and the 30 minutes wait at the bus stop gave me time to ponder and I was reminded of what he said to me.

2 different people came over and asked if they could take shelter under my umbrella while waiting for the bus. Back at home, I have not encountered any stranger asking to share an umbrella with me before, more probably so because I’m the one not having the brolly most of the time, though I did harbour such thoughts before when I’m stuck at the traffic lights in the rain. Generally, our folks will not take such initiatives.

3 buses came and were packed with people. They did not stop despite people running after them and banging on the sides of the bus. Another bus that was almost full stopped eventually and everyone dashed for it. I too kept my umbrella and headed for the bus. However, the bus filled up very quickly and started to move off before everyone could get on. Those remaining somehow either managed to squeeze themselves in or latch onto some parts of the bus.

I could not match the proactiveness of the locals. Suddenly, the golden words came into mind. Indeed, I was left behind…

No comments: