Sunday, October 12, 2008

Ranjit

Ranjit is the caretaker cum chef of the service apartment where I’m currently staying. A young little fellow from Orissa, who speaks mainly Hindi and a smattering of English, he takes care of the needs of the staying guests and also helps to run errands for the apartment owner.

On my second day here, I commented about low hot water pressure in the shower and mosquitoes keeping me awake at night. The same evening, he had fixed the shower and replaced the mosquitoes repellant oil burner in my room. He went about the house armed with an electric mozzie-buster, after which he told me, “No more mosquitoes, Madam”. He brought my laundry to the rooftop for airing when he found that they were not yet dry. I got a pleasant surprise when I found them ironed and folded neatly in my cupboard the next day!

I like the Indian food he prepares, especially the masala dosai and idly with coconut chutney at breakfast and for dinner, it’s a new menu everyday with a different type of roti to go with it. I have been having full Indian dinners every night since I moved in here. He also asked me to teach him how to make Chinese food. So this morning we went marketing and we made clear vegetable soup, stir-fry cabbage with mushrooms, omelette roll and pan fried tofu with rice for dinner. He said he like the food we prepared.

Sometimes he joins me for dinner, we would chat and he would teach me some Hindi phrases. I found out that he can read and understand English quite well, only that he is not as fluent and his vocabulary is limited. Nevertheless, his command of English is definitely better than my proficiency in Hindi!

Observant and attentive to details, he remembers I like my tea without milk, I like fruits and vegetables, I drink a lot of water and I do not like sweet stuffs. He will prepare a pitcher of water for me in the room at night and in the morning, an apple will be there and my water bottle will be filled for me to bring to work.

When I leave for work, he will ask me what time I’ll be home, whether I’ll be back for dinner, and remind me not to come back late as it is not safe plus the autos will give me problems. He will call me to make sure I’m alright when I have not returned by 9pm and whenever I had to work late, he will wait for me along the main road.

I had to OT again on Saturday and good thing that he was there to help me settle the auto driver who tried to overcharge me once again. On reaching home, he presented me with a big smile together with a poster he drew himself. On it was written “Ms Tan Kee Leng Welcome” in Indian motifs and design.

After a month on my own, it’s really nice to have someone to come home to, someone to fuss over me, and last but not least, a delicious home-cooked dinner awaiting. Ranjit reminds me of home. I miss my family, including my mum’s nagging…

1 comment:

cavegirl said...

Ranjit - A responsible, friendly, protective, dedicated and thoughtful "butler"!