Sunday, September 14, 2008

Reflections: Week 1, 09-Sep-08 to 13-Sep-08

GETTING STARTED

One week. Getting started is always the hardest. The compass needle is spinning and yet it is unable to point out where the true north is. The chef is all set to whip up a big meal only to find that the larder is empty. The engine is raring to go but the car is stuck in a massive jam…

Looking back at the past 10 days, I had rammed into walls, encountered road blocks, was overloaded with information, fell into a valley and climbed out of it.

I had settled down quickly and fine, like how one chemistry graduate described it, I have “precipitated”. That had probably made me complacent. What I need now is a “recrystallization” to get that big solid crystal…


ROAD HUMPS

Road humps are a pain when one is going at high speed. Big ones, gentle ones, they are there for a purpose. Located strategically, they force one to slow down and re-assess the situation. Until one learnt to moderate one’s speed, the ride will be rough. I went over many road humps and bumpy ones too. I have come to realize that I need to adjust my pace and expectations, and to take things one step at a time. Next time I see a road hump, I will appreciate its presence and promptly step on my brakes.


PRECIOUS MOMENTS

Transitions were never easy, regardless of how much preparations were done before hand. Words of wisdom and encouragement gave me strength to ride over stormy seas. Heart warming emails and smses saw me through loneliness and brought me sunshine when the skies are grey.

To put it simply, be it emails or messages, phone calls or smses, long or short, each and every one is precious… So, please do keep them coming! :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

humps and things that get in the way? well we need to be like a good martial art expert always ready to counter strike in or out of season. the fact that you have a good full time job and need not be in the market place where you to need to battle the market forces is like running a race in top form. its not that easy when you're not in top form and there are many mean competitors out there...

Unknown said...

Of course I think of you much more often than comes across in messages!! Never did get the habit of SMS. Reviewed some photos of times with you back in the 'old days' recently.

You'll find your way into more workable situations soon I'm sure, once the people get used to you and your project goal.