Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Valley Point: 10-Sep-08

Morning Run

Have been waking up against my will at 4am everyday since Sunday, that’s 6.30am Singapore time, the time I get up to go to work in Tuas. Perhaps my body is still adjusting to the time zone and number of hours of sleep here. Or maybe it’s just me getting old, as they say older people need less sleep and wake up early…

Instead of lying awake feeling frustrated, I decided to go for a run. The institute is much peaceful in the early morning though the traffic outside was already roaring away at 6.30am. I ran past one runner and 3 other joggers, security guards formed up for their morning briefing, Indian ladies taking up their places to sweep away the leaves from the ground. At one point, I reached what seemed like a dead end, when a student on a bicycle rode by me and into the woods. Could there be a trail? Where does it lead to?

It was a good 45 minutes run, with enough time to stretch, shower, have breakfast and be in the laboratory by 9.00am.


Road Blocks

There were road blocks everywhere today. Every turn I make, it’s a road block. At every junction, it had to be a red light.

As much as I try to keep positive, situations defied all my efforts and my engine was worn down by the constant re-ignition and idling. It’s tough to get things done over at the Other department, for everything “Please ask Sir, only if Sir say so.” Even when ‘Sir’ had told me I could use anywhere I like and order anything I want.

After 2 days, I’m still trying hard to get a bench space allocated. My heart sank when I saw the few scattered flasks in the drawers that “I can use”. I’ll probably need at least a few days to sort out the glassware and clean them up, and the bench of course, before any proper work can be done. The chemicals I needed were not available in the laboratory and had to be ordered. Getting help to get quotations for the chemicals was painfully difficult. All the time, I was tossed around like an unwanted ball, for even the tiniest matter, I was told to refer to ‘Sir’. I lost count of the number of times I went in and out of his office.

I found out there is a second laboratory dedicated for synthesis of the molecule that I’m supposed to work on. Familiar setups and apparatus, it looked like the chemistry laboratory I’m used to. I requested to work in that laboratory instead because of its conducive environment. Again, “Please ask Sir, only if Sir say so.” came the reply.

With no chemicals available, I could not start any experiments. Spent the rest of the afternoon looking through past experiments for the synthesis, trying to understand the various steps and procedures. I’ve got a strong urge to synthesize the molecule myself rather than to depend on others…


Lost in Transition

Another day of no achievements. It’s already Wednesday and everything is still at where we started off. Drained by the day’s events, my morale went downhill. Everyday, I look forward to emails at the end of the day but no emails for me this evening. Sadly, I packed up and made my way back.

Down the long, straight road that leads to the guest house, rustling sound of the leaves on overhanging branches, the air cool and moist from the earlier downpour, I slowly walked, counting the number of days amidst the shadows on the ground and thinking of things back home. Suddenly my vision blurred... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa2I7IefI1Y

It’s only my 6th day here in Bangalore. I wondered… How will I survive 6 months?

4 comments:

WMZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christine said...

hey...

I am glad that you are updating your blog when you are away. I will be reading it. =)

Good luck in Bangalore!

Lawrence said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lawrence said...

Beautiful rainbow comes after rain. Be patient now and continue running, keeping yourselve fit. You should see rainbow soon.

Happy working in Bangalore.:)