Saturday, September 13, 2008

Working Saturdays: 13-Sep-08

It felt weird to have to go to work on a Saturday. It’s a 6-day work week here and that I’ll have to follow.

In research and the academia, there’s no definite start or end time. Time is determined by one’s experiments and there’s total freedom in how much time one wants to spend in the laboratory. With freedom, comes responsibility. One needs to be really disciplined as it’s very easy to get complacent when there's no 'big brother' around.

I make it a point to be in the laboratory by 9.00am everyday. As much as I dislike routines, I need some kind of routine for me to function efficiently. One needs routine to settle down into a comfort zone, yet unrest kicks in when one gets too comfortable doing similar things over and over again. Life is full of such contradictions…

Called it a day about 5.30pm and went for a run, since there’s nothing much that I can do in the laboratory for now and it’s a Saturday anyway. One of the folks told me about Jubilee Gardens behind where I stayed, there I found some nice trails and an extension to my current route. The plan is 30min route on weekdays and 1hr route for weekends.

Morning is a better time to run. I get too much attention in the evenings, from mozzies & the other beings…

2 comments:

WMZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
WMZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.